Las Vegas Stalking Lawyer
Stalking in Las Vegas – usually defined as purposely engaging in actions that may cause another person to feel annoyed, frightened, intimidated, harassed, or terrorized for their or a household member’s safety. It also applies if the action actually causes a person to fear for their or their family’s safety. Several actions that are legal (like texting) may be identified as stalking if the victim is unwilling or suffers emotional distress. Like many crimes, a domestic violence attorney in Las Vegas can help you get a reduction or a dismissal for your case.
What Actions Can Be Considered Stalking?
Most states consider the following actions as stalking:
- Following someone without permission
- Obtaining personal information
- Taking pictures, videos, or audio without permission
- Calling, texting, sending emails and gifts to an unwilling recipient
- Threatening their target or their loved ones
- Sexual assault
- Unauthorized entry to their home
Is Stalking Domestic Violence?
Yes. Some cases of domestic violence have the abuser trying to reconcile with the person they are targeting, by performing the preceding actions. If you were charged with other offenses relating to domestic violence, you may need a lawyer to defend your domestic violence charge.
- Aggravated stalking - In aggravating stalking, the suspect has threatened their victim with death or bodily harm through direct, or indirect contact. This is a category B felony in Nevada.
- Cyber stalking - Cyber stalking is stalking through the use of the Internet, email, text messaging or any other similar means of communication that can publish or display information. It is a category C felony.
- Violating extended orders from the court - A court may give extended orders to command someone to stay away or cease all forms of contact from a specific individual, most likely the alleged victim. Violating this order is a category C felony.
Defending Against Allegations of Stalking
Several defenses are available against claims of stalking:
- Your actions were part of the job. For example, the defendant may be a photographer or a reporter.
- The victim could be lying just to spite you, or have other motivations for claiming that you were stalking.
- Your actions did not cause any distress to the victim.
- Your actions would not have caused distressed to any reasonable person.
Dismissed Domestic Battery
Dismissed 2 Counts of Domestic Violence
Simple Battery (Misdemeanor) Domestic Battery by Strangulation
Dismissed Child Abuse, Neglect, OR Endangerment
Being faced with such a difficult situation was overwhelming, but your strategic approach and guidance provided both comfort and hope.- Crystal L.
If someone wants competence, experience, straightforwardness, and results along with a great personality then they need Ross Goodman. He's the only attorney I would recommend. The quality I received with Ross cannot be overstated. He's the best!- Rianna W.
There's not enough stars for Ross Goodman. I highly recommend him for all your legal needs. I am a very satisfied client, and for once in my life I feel that there is a good lawyer that actually fights for justice and gets the job done instead of just making deals.- Christine D.
My family and I are very grateful we hired Mr. Ross Goodman to represent me. We can’t thank Mr. Ross enough for what he did.- Gilbert P.
I can't say enough good things about Ross and his team. He kept me fully informed, answered my questions promptly and personally, and was just there for me. I'd definitely recommend him without any hesitation.- Howard R.
So thankful for Mr. Ross Goodman taking on my case. Sometimes bad things happen even to good people and you're left to make decisions that could affect your livelihood. I knew going into my case I wanted the best lawyer defending me and the best is Ross.- Taniel C.
I had met with Ross in his office and within three seconds I knew I had to hire him. His right hand Tiffanie was professional and friendly and kept me informed of all court dates, which Ross appeared twice on my behalf without me even having to show up. I- Candice R.
Mr. Ross Goodman is a true professional. His knowledge and dedication to me as a client was unparalleled! Mr. Goodman and his assistant Tiffanie were a beacon of hope to my family and I during a time when my options appeared limited and the likelihood of a- Samuel G.